Sunday, December 19, 2010

Wintery Cinnamon

It seems as if we skipped over autumn entirely. I've heard this could be due to Global Warming but it could just be me and my lack of observation as I slept while other people may have witnessed the vibrant leaves turn and blow away. I must say I missed fall this year. I want Winter to grow on me... so I try and convince myself- "Winter is growing on me," but I'm never sure if it is.

We've decided not to decorate for the holidays this year so I'm going to have to get in the Christmas spirit some other way. Although this year our apartment is sans decoration, our apartment is beginning to feel and smell wintery.

The air is frigid- we try not to turn on our heater too often (to save both money and electricity) so instead we bundle up in long sleeve shirts with hoodies and cozy pajama pants and snuggle together under our fluffy covers when Jeff gets home from work. Often times I fall asleep until late in the evening. This afternoon nap ritual is a favorite of mine.

The scent of the gingerbread coffee I brewed yesterday lingers with hints of freshly baked apple crisp radiating from our oven.
Baking so lifts my spirits. I felt overwhelmed with sadness earlier about not being able to see my family this holiday season and so I decided bake. And now, I have a smile in my soul and on my face... It also helps that the apple crisp will be done right as Jeff gets home from work... I'm surprising him with this treat. If it turns out horribly, at least the apartment smells cinnamony and delicious.



Apple Crisp Recipe

Makes six servings

6 apples cored and sliced
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
5 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup water

3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Place the sliced apples in a glass pan.
Mix the white sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and ground cinnamon together, and sprinkle over apples. Pour water evenly over all.
Combine the oats, 3/4 cups flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and melted butter together.
Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
Bake at 325 degrees F for about 45 minutes.

No comments: