Today, I am thankful for rain in its many forms: The heavy mist, drizzle, light pitter-patter,the gushes, the pouring, the sheets, the thunderstorms. I'm thankful for the way it smells against the pavement and the grass, for the way it sounds against the roof of my apartment as it rocks me to sleep, for the way it feels like cool pin pricks on my skin, for the way it nourishes each nook and cranny of earth it touches, the way it feeds the plants and helps them grow. Rain is life giving. I am thankful for the rain.
When I was little, playing in the rain was just something we did-probably because it didn't rain all too often- and it was real a treat. We'd get on our rain gear. Yellow and red ponchos with matching rubber boots. We'd twirl our pink and purple umbrellas, stomp in the puddles, all while laughing gleefully when the splashes drenched our legs. While other mothers pulled their children inside and told them to stop splashing in the puddles, my sister and I got to experience the beauty that is rain. I am thankful for fond memories of the rain.
One particular evening as a Freshman at Calvin in Michigan, which I've been told is the third cloudiest state, I got to relive my childhood delight of rain-playing. It was pouring heavier than I'd ever seen in my life... a real thunderstorm! A few girls from my dorm and I decided we were sick of paper writing so we ran outside to play on Commons Lawn. I could have filled a bucket with the amount of water held in my sopping hair. Our clothing stuck to our skin like duct-tape as we danced in the rain and shouted things we were thankful for- shouting over the dramatic symphony of gushing rain pounding the grass. It was glorious! I am thankful for friends with whom to play in the rain.
Not sure when my attitude shifted from feeling like it was a treat to play in the rain to dreading even the slightest drizzle. All too often now I have the attitude of "It better not rain today... because I have such and such to do." It was hard moving from where it seldom rains in Southern California to Portland where it seems to rain constantly- especially this time of year. In fact, prior to my move, I was nervous that I wouldn't adjust well. Perhaps my Southern-California-Desert-self isn't used to it being damp outside all the time. But, I have 'survived' my first full four seasons here-and yes, it rained more than I'm used to. However, the seasons this year were particularly mild compared to previous years- or so I'm told. I am thankful that I was able ease into acquaintance with the rain without being bombarded by it.
People from past generations don't seem to feel they are entitled to complain about the rain. For what ever reason, they seem to have a larger degree of patience with the weather and understand that rain is important to the cycle of life. For the sake of the earth, they welcome the rain. Folks from these other generations do not seem to mind that its the earth's turn to be nourished. They understand the dangers of drought while we younger people seem to take the water for granted. Most younger people- often myself included, are more self-involved so we feel entitled to 'better' weather. We tend to forget, don't seem to understand, or just don't care that rain is an ecological necessity. Feeling bummed when it rains, we gripe incessantly about the inconvenience and hardship it imposes. Sometimes I'll even hold off on errands until the next day it doesn't rain. I'm not yet accustomed to going about my business when it rains unlike most people who live in Northwest seem to be. I am thankful for wise people from previous generations and fellow Portlanders who educate me by patiently setting an example of embracing the rain.
The plants and crops need it... even if I feel I could do with out. Ironically it is a bright and blue-skied morning out on this crisp November day. But last night it poured- and while it poured- I was thankful for the rain.
No comments:
Post a Comment