Saturday, October 23, 2010
Medical Update
Yesterday I had two tests done on my heart up at OHSU hospital. An MRI and an echocardiogram. For the MRI I had to have dye inserted through an IV which wasn't fun, but in the scheme of things it wasn't so bad. Before my MRI, a cardiologist came and spoke to me about participating in a clinical research study. OHSU is a learning hospital which means they have medical students working along side the doctors and they have a full wing of the hospital designated to medical research. After hearing about the study, I had Jeff come in to the room and listen too. Even though I knew it's ultimately my decision whether or not to participate I wanted his opinion because I trust him and knew he would tell me if its something he thought I shouldn't do. Plus I was secretly hyped up by idea of being crammed into that loud machine for near 45 minutes (or more) and couldn't really think straight. I decided that I would participate in the study because it would help further their study of fibrosis (hardening of the heart's interstitial tissue) in Adult cardiology patients vs normal hearted folks. Besides the MRI, the research also consisted of a shorter Echo and a walk test (walking for 6 minutes as fast as I could up and down a hall way). I felt pretty silly doing the walk test but hey its for a good cause, right? I go back in a year and have another MRI, another echo and do another walk test (all paid for by the study). Here's to medical research! :0)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment