Jeff and I have been using our blender (a lovely wedding shower gift from my mom) to make Vegetable/Fruit Smoothies for any meal of the day including pre dinner snacks. We've done several combinations of fruits and vegetables so they turn out differently each time! We're excited to experiment with different variations. We even bought clove sprouts to try this afternoon, and hope to get some kale and other greens to try in the near future.
I got this idea from one of my favorite blogs: Passionatehomemaking.com. To make two large smoothies (one rather tall glass for each of us) we start with 3/4 cups water, 2 tables spoons of 100% fruit juice (we like orange or cranberry), then we take 3-4 heaping handfuls of spinach as a base. After blending that up, we add any combination of the following vegetables and fruits: carrots, broccoli, corn, cucumber, blueberries, sliced peaches, kiwis, raspberries, banana, pears, canned pineapple, (We tried an orange, but I put it in as an afterthought and should have grounded it up a bit more before serving because the consistency was slightly chewy,) sugar snap peas... and any others you can think of. Blend in a little honey if needed and maybe some Tillamook ice cream and they are good to go!
COOKIES
Last night I made my delicious chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies... and they were a little different. Jeff and I both noticed something was amiss with the dough before baking them. But I baked them anyway. Several issues could be the culprit. One thing that could have gone wrong is I must have put in baking powder rather than baking soda. The bag I took it from was unmarked AND I found a bag labeled "Baking Soda" in the pantry later on that evening... Oops. The other possible contributing factor was done on purpose. Instead of using the all purpose white flower that I always use I thought I'd try to be healthy and use whole grain flower. This made for a slightly gritty texture of the dough's consistency and yes, we tasted it raw.
When I took the cookies out of the oven, they looked like fluffy pancakes. They had the little bubbles and all. Much to my relief, after I let them cool they had shriveled and looked slightly normal... but appeared as though the life had been sucked out of them. They were so dense that they chocolate chips and nuts that had been hidden in the "pancakes' had now risen above the surface reminding me of many western National Parks. Beautiful multicolored protrusions in an otherwise flat yet rugged terrain of des(s)ert. Thankfully they still taste like cookies. :0)
No comments:
Post a Comment