So, today I decided to make a loaf of what I'll call "Very Seedy Whole Grain Oat Bread". It has very special flax seeds (from Valley Pistachio given to me by my parents from their drive to Portland in late July) as well as poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds etc. Unfortunately, I didn't have the patience to soak the grain ahead of time, so the way it is will have to do. Like all my baking projects, I never really know how they will turn out as I'm always adding unmeasured amounts of various ingredients to favorite recipes... I'm all about experimental cooking. This can be a bad thing when it comes to making breads as exact measuring is a basic requirement for "getting it right". Its in the kneading stage and it looks kind of dense...(as whole wheat bread can be a lot of the time) but it hasn't risen yet so I'm hopeful it will be ok. 2 more hours to go...
Update 3:40pm... I am soo thrilled with how it turned out! I am eating a warm peanut butter and honey sandwich in the edge piece as we speak! I am most surprised how doughy the middle is and how crusty the edges are! Jeff should be getting home really soon... Hopefully I can leave some of this sandwich for him for him to try a taste of...... a bite...... a nibble...... the crumbs? This bread is as closed to perfection as I would ever hope to get. Its fluffy and flavorful. Not dense at all. If I can ever repeat the recipe I will be one enthused woman. Ok... now off to make Jeff his own sandwich.